Signage play a vital role in providing information and enabling occupants to easily find exits during emergencies.
What are the requirements?
- All exits and exit routes should be identifiable, visible and clearly marked with noticeable signs to enable people to find their way-out during fire emergencies
- Every exit on every floor shall be clearly indicated by an exit sign placed over the exit door
- Directional signs shall be placed such as to indicate the path and direction to exits
- It is required that exits signs are illuminated, while the building has normal electrical power and the building is occupied
- Photo luminescent emergency lighting should be provided to indicate path and direction upon loss of power
- Exit signs, directional signs and evacuation plans should only be installed by UAE Civil Defence approved contractors under the supervision of an UAE Civil Defence approved consultant
- Exit and directional signs should be inspected for damage, wear and tear and the operation of illumination sources checked every 30 days
- Battery operated emergency illuminations sources shall be maintained according to the Chapter 6 of UAE Fire and Life Safety Code of Practice
- Signage materials, systems, assemblies, products and accessories should be installed and be of acceptable test standards and criteria
How should the signage look like?
- Exit sign and directional exit sign mounting
- Exits signs mounted at an intersection
- Directional exit sign specfications
- Exit signs specifications